Fast food giant McDonalds recently had to pay a former employee who became partially blind while working at one of their restaurants. The employee attempted to unclog a drain in the restaurant, but when the first attempt at using a sulfuric acid-based cleaner did not work, he poured a second bottle into the pipe.

The contents of the second bottle blew back into the employee’s face and into both of his eyes.  Following treatment, he regained almost all of the vision in his right eye but only about 55% in his left eye.

This serves as a warning about household cleaners and chemicals and the possible effects in your eyes. Some substances only burn or sting, but are relatively harmless, while others can potentially cause serious long-term injuries.

If you do get a splash of a chemical in your eye, immediately wash your eye under a steady stream of water for 15 minutes. Allow the water to run into your open eye to wash out as much of the chemical as you can. Next, call your eye doctor or go to an emergency room. Remember to tell the doctor exactly what substance got into your eye and what you’ve done about it.

Chemical burns can cause blindness, so anytime you get a foreign substance in your eye it’s important to take it seriously.  The most important step is washing out your eye, then calling your eye doctor.

This information is brought to you by Clarin Eye Care.  Please call or contact our office for more information.

Connect with us: Facebook Twitter Google Yelp